Welcome to Techxplorer’s fiction archive.
Over the past few years I’ve tried my hand at writing fiction. Thoughts get stuck in my mind. Snippets of conversation, themes, or scenes. The only satisfactory way to get them out is to write them down. In the past I’ve tried writing short stories and longer flash fiction pieces. I couldn’t keep up the habit long enough to make it stick.
In reflecting on my past experiences I came to a few conclusions:
- I like building static websites in Hugo and wanted to do so again
- I needed to find a way to write whenever the mood struck. Waiting until I was at my computer destroyed my motivation
- My focus needs to be on short pieces. Longer pieces are at a higher risk of being abandoned
- I really enjoy reading flash fiction and micro fiction on Twitter
- I wanted an archive of my writing on a site that I control
The conclusion was clear. I needed to start using my Twitter account for my writing. I also needed to build a new website to act as an archive. The end result of a few afternoons work is this website.
I draw inspiration from my life, and from reading.
Favourite micro-fiction authors
Some of my favourite micro fiction accounts on Twitter are (in no particular order):
- Micro SF/F stories
- staticgirl, operator
- A Small Fiction
- T. R. Darling
- Micro Sci-Fi
- Tower 727
- Micro Flash Fiction
Some of my favourite authors are (in no particular order):
Favourite web comic authors
Some of my favourite web comics are (in no particular order):
- Scott Johnson (Fred and Can)
- Carter Jonson
- Travis Hanson (Life of the Party)
- Josh Wright (Slack Wyrm)
- small robots
- Commit Strip
How I build the archive of posts
Building the archive is a two step process.
The first step uses a tool that I’ve written in Node.js. The tool fetches my most recent tweets. A filter is applied to collect only those that are fiction posts. Using these filtered posts, the tool creates Markdown files.
The second step is a website generated using Hugo. It turns the markdown files into this website.
More information about me
More information about me is available on my main website. If you would like to contact me you can either: